Computer Scientist: Computational Research Division
Jon Bashor, JBashor@lbl.gov, 510-486-5849
Dan Krotz, DAKrotz@lbl.gov, 510-486-4019
Dr. Sean Peisert is jointly appointed as a staff scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory; chief cybersecurity strategist at CENIC, and director of the CENIC/ESnet joint cybersecurity initiative; and associate adjunct professor and faculty member in the Graduate Groups in Computer Science, Forensic Science, and Health Informatics at the University of California, Davis.
His research interests cover a broad cross-section of computer and network security. Some of the recent projects and interests that Dr. Peisert has worked on include intrusion detection for control systems in smart/power grids, techniques for insider threat identification and mitigation, and security in high-performance computing and networking environments. Previously, he was an I3P Research Fellow and was a computer security researcher at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC).
"ASCR Cybersecurity for Scientific Computing Integrity — Research Pathways and Ideas"
- Sean Peisert, et al., U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science report, LBNL Technical Report number LBNL-191105, September, 2015.
- "ASCR Cybersecurity for Scientific Computing Integrity"
- Sean Peisert, et al., U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science report, LBNL Technical Report number LBNL-6953E, February, 2015.
- "Monitoring Security of Networked Control Systems: It's the Physics"
- Chuck McParland, Sean Peisert, and Anna Scaglione, IEEE Security and Privacy, 12(6), pp. 32–39, November/December 2014.
- "Byzantine Fault Tolerance from Intrusion Detection"
- Sisi Duan, Karl Levitt, Hein Meling, Sean Peisert, and Haibin Zhang, Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), pp. 253–264, Nara, Japan, October 6–9, 2014.
- "Principles of Authentication"
- Sean Peisert, Ed Talbot, and Tom Kroeger, Proceedings of the 2013 New Security Paradigms Workshop (NSPW), pp. 47–56, Banff, Canada, September 9–12, 2013.
- "Multiclass Classification of Distributed Memory Parallel Computations"
- Sean Whalen, Sean Peisert, and Matt Bishop, Pattern Recognition Letters (PRL), 34(3), pp. 322–329, February 2013.
- "Turtles All the Way Down: A Clean-Slate, Ground-Up, First-Principles Approach to Secure Systems"
- Sean Peisert, Ed Talbot, and Matt Bishop, Proceedings of the 2012 New Security Paradigms Workshop (NSPW), pp. 15–26, Bertinoro, Italy, September 19–21, 2012.
Awards and Memberships
• IEEE Technical Committee on Security and Privacy Outstanding Community Service Award (2015)
• Senior Member, IEEE (Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers) (2012–present)
In the News
Pew Center on the States electionline Weekly: Resolving the Unexpected in Elections: Election Officials’ Options
Ph.D., Computer Science from UC San Diego
last updated: 2016-07-07 15:42:58